U.lab is an interdisciplinary framework for innovation projects at UTS – it creates opportunities for design-led innovation where learning, research and industry engagement come together.
We believe that innovation occurs between people, not in isolation, and how we innovate is the product of opportunistic interactions. At u.lab we seek to expand the capacity of design-thinking into a truly interdisciplinary collaboration between entrepreneurial activity, corporate R&D and academic thought leadership. The projects we are tackling require cross-boundary thinking and embedded collaboration.
Our backgrounds are in Business, Engineering, Architecture, Design and IT and at u.lab we contribute and expand our cross-disciplinary knowledge and expertise. Currently u.lab hosts six programs:
- Entrepreneurship Lab is a full semester subject in which students leverage their discipline knowledge and work in mixed teams to learn and apply skills of ‘Design Thinking’ and ‘Creative Enterprise’ and develop solutions for the real world in collaboration with industry sponsors. The E.lab starts every semester and is open to UTS students.
- CrowdShare Sydney is a new platform for enthusiasts who love their city and contribute time, skills and energy towards creative actions. Actions include talk events, co-creation, flashmobs, performance gatherings, media art, guerrilla gardening, participatory graffiti, manifesto readings or any collective celebration of the city. CrowdShare Sydney was launched in August 2013.
- GroundBreaker is a series of public innovation workshops and panel debates tied to an innovation research program. GroundBreaker aims to explore and build new tools for open innovation, collaborative innovation and crowd-share innovation and was first held in 2012 in partnership with the Australian Design Center.
- BikeTank is an intensive workshop where we play with new innovation methods for cities. Each BikeTank is an intensive exploration into a defined topic hosted by emerging and leading thinkers, contributing to a bigger picture project. So far 14 BikeTanks were held in 2011, 2013 and 2014 e.g. in partnership with the City of Sydney.
- Creative Minds is a customizable workshop format in which participants tackle pressing innovation challenges. The creative journey is facilitated using integrative and design thinking. Creative Minds is open to the public.
- CitySwitch is an international student exchange program between Japan, China, Indonesia and Australia, where urban designers, architects, design thinker and artists collaborate over five days, to collaborate on the activation of urban spaces. CitySwitch happens twice every year.